Wednesday, March 14, 2012

1870-72 Imperial Gazetteer of England description of Stansted

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stansted like this:
STANSTEAD, a parish, with S. village and Fairseat hamlet, in Malling district, Kent; 5 miles SW by S of Meopham r. station, and 7 NE of Sevenoaks. Post town, Sevenoaks. Acres, 1,956. Real property, £2,371. Pop., 403. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400.* Patron, the Archbishop of The church is good; and there is a parochial school.

For source click here

2 comments:

  1. I'm trying to trace back the history of Green Farm and, in particular, Green Farm Cottages in Meopham Green, formerly known as Pitfield Green. I have found the cottages on a tythe map dating back to 1840 but think the cottages were built earlier. There is a Parish Council reference to Green Farm dated 1697. I am fighting a planning application which could completely ruin and demolish part of the associated buildings. Unfortunately, I am now running out of time and only have until the evening of 11th January to find any more evidence before the planning application is determined. I know it's very late in the day, but I have only just found your website. Any help would be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Frances but I only know a little about the villages of Stansted and Fairseat, my expertise does not extend to Meopham Green but good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete