Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Old photographs of Stansted School pupils

These photographs are copies of those found in the Fairseat and Stansted Historical Society's archives. They are not presented in any order and any dates have been taken from the Society. In case you don't know about this society, their archive is stored in Fairseat Village Hall.

Headmistress Mrs Murphy. Stansted resident Mick Osbourne also present


For the 1974 centenary celebrations the children dressed as Victorians




1975

1954

Mrs Murphy again

1976

1981 with teacher Mrs Hale

1981 with Mrs Joyner (headmistress)


1974  Rejoicing after the school was reprieved from closing

About 1910

Caption for above photo


1920 or 1928?

6 comments:

  1. Hi, Very interesting photos, thank you. However, I don't believe Melita is now the person to ask about the "Archives" and the Old Post Office, pink house, is in new ownership and not "pink"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this was posted five years ago. I'll change it.

      Delete
  2. The house has been pink for as long as I remember (although not now). I was born in Fairseat in 1967. I am sure there will be many people who will always refer to it as "The pink house" so I wouldn't take offence. Melita grew up in Fairseat and there are many like her and considerably older who are worth asking about the archives. I think these photos are great and fantastic that you are taking the time to put them all together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The house has been pink for as long as I remember (although not now). I was born in Fairseat in 1967. I am sure there will be many people who will always refer to it as "The pink house" so I wouldn't take offence. Melita grew up in Fairseat and there are many like her and considerably older who are worth asking about the archives. I think these photos are great and fantastic that you are taking the time to put them all together! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, 'The Pink House by the Pond' had a good ring to it! I saw Melita yesterday at the Village Hall where there was a small display of archive pictures for people to look at. It was looking at some other old pictures of the school (not shown above) that I found out that Melita once worked at the school also! They are trying to do a bit more work on the archive and need help, so if anyone is interested get in touch! I am a real newcomer with only 17 years of time in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m in the class of 81 with DJ - if ofstead had been around the school would’ve lost definitely closed then.

    ReplyDelete