Saturday, June 19, 2021

Court House in Fairseat (previous name 'The Cottage')

I found this old postcard image which was dated 1910. I was not sure where it was, so sent it to local knowledge guru Dick Hogbin. On further investigation, he told me that it is certainly a pre-1942 image of Court House (as an extension to the house was built at that date). 

On another post about Fairseat House (which is next door to Court House/The Cottage) Becca Peters commented and told me this:

"Fairseat House was a school. Court House was originally built for the headmistress' brother which is why there is a little gate between the two. It was deemed unsuitable for a man to live in the same building"

Dick also told me this information: 

"Horace Grant had the house built in around 1850 at about the same time as Fairseat House. He lived in it and called it The Cottage. His sister, Hannah, ran a boarding school for girls in Fairseat House"

I don't have the image in a better quality or size, but will continue to look out for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment